Elizabeth G. “Bette” Cox grew up in Florence, South Carolina, in the heart of the Pee Dee region of South Carolina. She attended the University of South Carolina at Florence, now Francis Marion University. In 2006 she completed the coursework from UCLA-Davis and received a Certificate as Oral Historian. She has two children, two grandsons, two great-grandsons and two great granddaughters.
She and her husband Tim Cox opened a business services company, Executive Services of the Pee Dee, Inc. in 1986. The company was closed after Tim’s death in 2006. A lifelong citizen of Florence, Bette has been an active worker for conservative causes for many years.
For several years Bette wrote a regular newspaper column titled “Family Memories.” This site includes many of those columns. Articles told stories of her life growing up in Florence, or recounted interviews she did with others about their lives growing up. She was the host of “Talk With Bette,” a weekly radio talk show dedicated to community activities and issues on WOLS-1230 AM in Florence for several years prior to that.
A Bible student and teacher for over forty years, speaking, teaching, and writing many articles and Bible study guides, Bette’s special interests are healing and the Gifts of the Holy Spirit. She formerly wrote and published a devotional newsletter, Esther’s Petition. Click on the Blogroll link to read the current issue, now on-line.
Developing a special interest in genealogy several years ago, Bette has traced her father’s family tree back to the early 1700’s in South Carolina. She enjoys investigating the history of Florence, South Carolina, the town and county she grew up in, and interviewing other people who grew up in the area. Bette has spoken about the importance of preserving life stories to dozens of civic groups, social clubs, genealogical societies, and family gatherings.
A natural outgrowth of Bette’s interest in genealogical research, the Family Memories Division of her company assisted a number of families to preserve their life stories, from full length biographies to special occasion memory books.
An avid reader as well as writer, Bette has authored several family biographical articles, several humorous short stories, one full-length mystery novel (Defending Blade) and one online humorous serial mystery novel (The Simsville Inheritance). She also writes several other blogs — see the Blogroll links.
Bette has been a grassroots volunteer for a number of conservative Christian and political causes. Some of Bette’s State and Community Activities include:
* State Board of Education, 12th Judicial Circuit Member, 1997-2000
* South Carolina Commission on Women, 1995-1997
* Crimestoppers of the Pee Dee, Inc., Past Board Member
* Presidential Elector, 6th Congressional District, 1996
* First Vice Chairman, S. C. Republican Party, 1996-2000
* Secretary, Florence County Republican Party, 1992-2000, 2009-2010
Active Campaign Volunteer for:
* George W. Bush for President, 2000, 2004
* David Beasley for U.S. Senate, 2004
* Forbes 2000, Steering Committee Member for Florence County
* David Beasley for Governor, 1994, 1998
* Bob Peeler for Lt. Governor, 1994, 1998
* Strom Thurmond for US Senate, 1996
* Bob Inglis for US Senate, 1998
* Hugh Leatherman for State Senate, 1994, 1997
* Jim McGee for SC House, 1998
* Ed Clements for Solicitor, 2010
* Campaign volunteer for many other city and county candidates from 1988 to present
You may contact Bette at firstname.lastname@example.org. Thanks for reading.